Water Treatment : Hydrogen Sulfide (Rotten Egg Odor)

What is Hydrogen Sulfide In Well Water?

Hydrogen sulphide (H2S) is a dissolved gas that gives water a characteristic "rotten egg" taste and odor. It corrodes piping, creates odors in the house, and turns water black. Homemakers will notice that it can change sterling silver to a black color almost instantly. hydrogen sulfide can cause odor problems at a concentration level as low as 0.05 mg/L. It occurs naturally in groundwater as a consequence of the activities of sulfur reducing bacteria. These bacteria feed on small amounts of sulfur in the water and thrive in the low oxygen environments present in groundwater wells and plumbing systems.
hydrogen sulfide often occurs naturally in well water, or can be caused by the presence of sulphate reducing bacteria in a well or water system. Since bacteria are the most common cause, treatment to control them should be tried first. Shock chlorination is the standard treatment for control of sulphate reducing and iron bacteria in a well
Sometimes hydrogen sulfide may be noticeable only in the hot water in the home. In this case, chemical reactions within the water heater may be the source of the rotten egg odor. Water heaters are fitted with a magnesium rod to inhibit corrosion of the heater. The magnesium rod can chemically reduce sulfates to form hydrogen sulfide.

What Are The Problems Associated With Well Water Hydrogen Sulfide Gas ?

Hydrogen sulfide in water is an aesthetic concern that causes a disagreeable taste and odor to the water. Hydrogen sulfide can also
cause corrosion of metals in a plumbing system, and it can cause yellow or black greasy stains on fixtures or inside pipes when it forms metallic sulfides.

Residential Well Water Systems:

Whole house hydrogen sulfide gas filter

Whole house hydrogen sulfide and sulfur reducing bacteria treatment system 

Back to Common Water Problems and Their Corrections >>>>>>

( RainDance Water Systems)

Contact us for more infoimage